Pages

Thursday 1 September 2011

Pinch, Punch, First of the Month....

Today is the start of a brand new month. For many, it's a brand new start, heading off to new school years, college, university, etc. etc. It's weird to think that I was preparing to head off to university at this time 9 years ago! Seems like such a long time ago now!

One of my old housemates gave me a Gil Elvgren calendar this past Christmas. Gil Elvgren is my favourite pin-up artists, and is one of the most famous and recognisable. I'm actually planning on my next tattoo to be based on his artistic style.

Elvgren (March 1914 - February 1980) was a classical American illustrator, a master of portraying the All-American ideal feminine, but he wasn't limited to the calendar pin-up industry. He was strongly influenced by "pretty girl" illustrators such as Charles Dana Gibson, Andrew Loomis, and Howard Chandler Christy.
In 1937, Gil began painting calendar girls for Louis F Dow, one of America's leading publishing companies, during which time he created around 60 artworks. Around 1944, Gil was approached by Brown and Bigelow, a firm that still dominates the field producing calendars and advertising specialties. He was associated with Brown and Bigelow from 1945 to 1972.


The pin-up for September 2011 is Smoke Screen.

Each month also has a smaller pin-up picture for just above the month layout. This month is Wish You Were Near.

I love this calendar so much (and I also have the matching diary....me, obsessed, never! Haha!) On the first of every month, I plan on posting which pin-up paintings are featured. For me, Elvgren's painting capture everything a woman should stand for. Fact is, women should be able to be beautiful and sexy, whilst being smart at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment